Tuesday, 13 September 2016

Head's Blog: Tuesday 13 September 2016

This week I want to talk to parents about Show My Homework.

Show my Homework is a web-based system for recording homework. Teachers enter the homework online and students (and parents) can check what homework has been set.

You should have received from your son a letter with log in details which enable you to access the system and find out what your son's (or sons') homework is and when it is due in. There are Apps available for Android and Apple phones so as well as using a web browser you can also use your smart phone to keep up to date. The system went live on Monday. 

If you did not receive the log in letter please ask your son about it - it may be in the bottom of his bag. If he does not have it, please contact his form tutor in the first instance for a copy. If you are having difficulty accessing the system please contact Mr Davies at the College so that he can arrange assistance.

Next week I will say more about other ways we will be improving contact with parents this academic year.

It is always good to hear of old boys succeeding and some of you may have picked up from the press that Josh Bance has been very successful at the World Call of Duty Video Game Championship. His team did well and he was voted Most Valuable Player in the tournament. You can read about it here:

http://www.redbull.com/en/esports/stories/1331815949325/call-of-duty-xp-bance-is-our-mvp

It also seems he won some prize money. We regularly tell boys in school that playing Call of Duty is not helping them prepare for later life and that their time would be better spent on something more worthwhile (homework for example!) Josh is clearly an exception to this rule! Nevertheless remind your son, for the rest of us the rule still holds.

This week in assemblies I will be talking to students about what we can learn from the dedication of Olympic Athletes. I will be suggesting that they should:

  • Take the long view (like Mo Farah will - if he wants to compete in Tokyo in 4 years he will start training now)
  • To remember that anyone no matter how good (or bad) they are can always get better (like Adam Peaty who won a swimming gold and broke a world record)
  • To be prepared to risk failure in order to achieve success (Who bounced back from a diving injury that nearly killed him to win diving gold with Jack Laugher)
  • Do their homework (Like Maddie Hinch, the GB women's hockey goal keeper who kept details notes on all her opponents and was able to prevent Holland scoring any goals in the final penalty shoot out)
Boys will be using this prayer in Tutor time this week:

O Lord,
Grant me your strength, so I will have courage in every situation;
Grant me your love, so I may love others as you love me;
Grant me your knowledge, so I will show others the path to wisdom;
Grant me your mercy, so I will forgive those who have hurt me;
Grant me your peace, so I will find the best in everybody;
Grant me your hope, so I will never give up;
Grant me your joy, so I will be thankful for all my blessings;
Grant me your kindness, so I will treat others as they want to be treated;
And Grant me your grace, so you will always be at my side.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment